Slovene-English interlingual communication II
Objectives and competences
1. Understanding translation as a process of interlingual communication.
2. Understanding that source and target texts are embedded in the source and target cultures.
3. Awareness of the different textual and generic conventions in Slovene and English.
4. Awareness of the differences and similarities between Slovene and English that are important to translation.
5. Developing different micro and macro strategies for translating culturally specific texts.
6. Familiarity with different translation tools and resources.
7. Awareness of the complexity of lexical meaning and of English word formations, especially those required for colloquial expression.
8. Recognising the difference between colloquial expression in Slovene and English.
9. Understanding the importance of style in the translation of different text genres.
Content (Syllabus outline)
The subject comprises:
a) Translation oriented English idiomatics and stylistics
b) English-Slovene interlingual communication.
Translation oriented Idiomatics and stylistics: the complexity of lexical meaning; multi-word lexical units; idioms and other fixed expressions, collocations, phrasal verbs, compounds; translation of multi-word lexical units; register; stylistic levels; style and genre, with specific culturally based features relevant to translation practice; rhetorical figures; contrastive analysis of texts in English and Slovene.
Interlingual communication: different methodological approaches and terminology of translation studies, enabling students to analyse translation and reflect on their own translation procedures.
Translation of different texts into Slovene: popular science, humanities, journalistic, literary etc.
Analysis of source and target texts.
Discussion of specific translation problems. Discussion of linguistic and cultural issues in the source and target language environments.
A.Grad, R Škerlj, N. Vitorovič (1995) Veliki angleško-slovenski slovar, Ljubljana: DZTPS.
Slovar slovenskega knjižnega jezika, 1997
Alan Duff (1989) Translation, Oxford University Press,
Benson, Morton, Benson, Evelyn and Ilson, Robert. (1997). The BBI Dictionary of English Word Combinations. Revised edition. Amsterdam / Philadelphia: John Benjamins.
Carter, Ronald. (1998). Vocabulary. Applied Linguistic Perspectives. Second Edition. London and New York: Routledge.
Moon, Rosamund. (1998). Fixed Expressions and Idioms in English. A Corpus-Based Approach. Oxford: Clarendon Press.
Sinclair, John. (1991). Corpus, Concordance, Collocation. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
Enrolment in the second academic year of Interlingual Communication.
The final grade consists of the average from the two subjects (English Idiomatics and Stylistics & Interlingual Communication II). To pass, students must get a positive grade in both subjects.
English Idiomatics and Stylistics: seminar paper (50% of final grade), examination (50%) – together 50 % of the final grade.
Interlingual communication II: Students are required to do translations and seminars for homework or in class as tests (40 % of the final grade); the remaining 60% of the grade is obtained in an examination – together 50 % of the final grade.
Forms of marking: 6-10 or A-E (positive grade), 1-5 or F (negative grade). The assessment is in line with the Statute of the University of Ljubljana and the examination regulations of the Faculty of Arts.