Translation from Franch into Slovene
Objectives and competences
- ability to use and apply advanced translation strategies
- ability to use specialized dictionaries and parallel texts
- development of linguistic, translational and intecultural competence
- awareness of different genres and contexts in Slo/French texts
-cultural and linguistic competences for Slo/French translation
- ability of independant and professional work, work in group
Content (Syllabus outline)
Students are expected to refine their previously acquired basic translation strategies and adapt and apply them to more complex texts in terms of syntax and meaning. They are introduced to specialized dictionaries; work with parallel texts is continued. The course is aimed at improved comprehension of fairly complex Slovene and French texts featuring advanced syntax, ambiguity, metaphorical meaning, analogies, as well as cultural and historical references. Students still deal with general purpose texts of various genres. Strict conveying of denotation and connotation is at the core of the course, not neglecting collocation and style, both common sources of errors in encoding. Particular emphasis is put on sensitivity to genre and context; text type and target readers' expectations determine the translation strategy. Practical translation is complemented by selected topics from Slovene-French contrastive analysis, foregrounding issues of collocation and style.
1. Bajec, A. et al., ur. 1970-1985. Slovar slovenskega knjižnega jezika I-IV. Ljubljana: DZS.
2. Le Petit Robert, Dictionnaire de la langue française, Pariz: Dictionnaire Le Robert, 1991.
3. Le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (http://atilf.atilf.fr/)
4. Grad A. 1990. Francosko-slovenski moderni slovar, Ljubljana : DZS
5. Jesenik V., Dembskij N. 2001. Slovensko-francoski slovar, Ljubljana : DZS
6. Koprus Fidaplus (http://www.fidaplus.net/)
Enrollment in the third academic year of Interlingual Communication.
Type (examination, oral, coursework, project):
Translation out of French: Students are required to do translations and seminars for homework or at school as tests (40 % of the final grade); the remaining 60% of the grade is obtained in an examination.
Forms of marking: 6-10 or A-E (positive grade), 1-5 or F (negative grade). The assessment is in line with the Statute of the University of Ljubljana and the examination regulations of the Faculty of Arts.