Medjezikovno posredovanje (nemščina)
Objectives and competences
1. High-level cultural and linguistic skills in using German and Slovene, and in German and Slovene culture.
2. Ability in comprehension and contrastive analysis of German and Slovene texts.
3. Ability to use linguistic resources and other aids useful for professional work.
4. Ability to edit and form texts in accordance with the specific conventions of German.
5. Learning about various text types and their characteristics, including register and specific rules governing individual discourses.
6. Learning the basic principles of translating short texts of various types in German that students will encounter in their work.
Content (Syllabus outline)
The course is divided into two units:
a) Interlingual Communication
b) German Text Formation
Interlingual Communication: Students analyze individual texts of various genres taking into account internal (micro) and external (macro) factors following Christiane Nord, seek parallel texts in German and Slovene, and prepare summaries of German texts of a general nature in Slovene. They learn about the concept of text and various text types, text functions, and written and oral communication. The emphasis is on the comparison of translations and original texts, searching in sources and the use of dictionaries, writing summaries, translating simple texts, analyzing source texts and error analysis.
German Text Formation: During text formation exercises students deal with: - formation of German texts of different types (CVs, requests, commentaries, essays, recipes, etc.); - stylistic characteristics of the language; - specific cultural features of texts; - the intercultural significance of the translation profession. The subject comprises both a theoretical part, where students learn to recognise and discuss different discourse concepts and expressions, and a practical part, where they independently create texts, applying the knowledge they have acquired.
- Hönig, Hans G.; Kußmaul, Paul (1999): Strategie der Übersetzung. Ein Lehr- und Arbeitsbuch. Tübingen: Narr.
- Hönig, Hans G. (1997): Konstruktives Übersetzen. Tübingen: Stauffenburg.
- Bußmann, Hadumod (1990): Lexikon der Sprachwissenschaft. Stuttgart: Kröner.
- Söllinger, Peter (1989): Texte schreiben. Methodische Anregungen. Wien: Literas Universitätsverlag.
- Nord, Christiane (2003): Textanalyse und Übersetzen. Heidelberg: J. Groos.
- Slovenski pravopis. 1. Ljubljana: DZS, SAZU, 2001 (dostopno tudi na spletu: http://bos.zrc-sazu.si/sp2001.html)
- Bajec, A. et al., ur. 1970-1985. Slovar slovenskega knjižnega jezika I-IV. Ljubljana: DZS (dostopno tudi na spletu: http://bos.zrc-sazu.si/sskj.html).
- Gradivo, ki ga pripravi izvajalec oz. izvajalka. / Material prepared by the teacher.
Enrollment in the first year of Interlingual Communication.
The final grade consists of the average from the two subjects (Interlingual Communication & German Text Formation). To pass, students must get a positive grade in both subjects:
1. Interlingual Communication: homework or tests (40 % of the final grade); the remaining 60% of the grade is obtained in an examination – 50 % of the final grade.
2. German Text Formation: homework or tests (40 % of the final grade); the remaining 60% of the grade is obtained in an examination – 50 % of the final grade.
Forms of marking: 6-10 or A-E (positive grade), 1-5 or F (negative grade). The assessment is in line with the Statute of the University of Ljubljana and the examination regulations of the Faculty of Arts.